7 Reasons To Consider Putting A Fence In Your Yard
Adding a fence to your new home is about more than aesthetics — in fact, it’s about significant property value. “The appearance of a fence adds value to the home overall,” writes real estate company Century 21. “Buyers with children or pets will appreciate the privacy and security of an enclosed backyard.” From the quintessential white picket fence to a tall privacy fence in the backyard, putting in a fence can boost curb appeal, add privacy, lower insurance costs and more. What exactly can you expect if you decide to spring for a fence addition? What are the best benefits that come from its installation? To help answer these questions, consider some of the biggest factors that justify a fence purchase:
- Define Property Boundaries. Is the embankment between your house and your neighbors’ property? Whose land is housing those unruly shrubs? Fences make property boundaries clearer for everyone. When your neighbor sells his/her house, when someone tears down the home next door to build a new one, when anything comes up that raises a question about which sections belong to whom, an established fence offers clarity. You’re free to take responsibility for your property and leave your neighbors to be responsible for theirs.
- Complete Your Curb Appeal. Because today’s market offers so many different fencing styles, there are all kinds of options for completing your home’s look. Add elegance with a wrought-iron gate. Create charm with a white picket fence in front. Fencing is a great way to define landscaping, enhance gardens, boost aesthetics and/or build a new dimension onto your property’s style.
- Protect Pools or Ponds. If you have a backyard pool or a garden pond, you know that fencing is a must, if only for safety concerns. Keep unauthorized visitors from falling into the water feature on your property — in some cases this may even lower your homeowners’ insurance costs.
- Reduce Insurance Costs. It’s not only pool fences that can affect your insurance premiums; in situations where a fence adds security, along with house alarms, for example, your insurance company may also offer a discount. Because fences deter intruders and break-ins, insurance companies view them as a positive. Talk to your agent to find out more!
- Fence in Your Pets and/or Kids. Let your kids or pets roam outside without worrying that they’ll run into the street or into someone else’s yard. Install a fence to keep your children and animals on your property, as well as to keep other animals or intruders off it.
- Enhance Outdoor Privacy. Wouldn’t you like to hang out on your rear patio without having to be watched by the neighbors? Wouldn’t it be nice to relax outside on a sunny day without worrying about who can see you? Imagine hosting parties, get-togethers or quiet nights with your family outside in total privacy. Fences can create the borders that make it safe to relax, entertain or even sunbathe without any prying eyes nearby.
- Make Your Home More Marketable. Add a fence to your property, and when the time comes to sell, you communicate to potential buyers that there’s one less thing to take care of when they buy your home. Most buyers will like the benefits that come from a fence and see a home that already has one as a home with more to offer. In fact, according to real estate publication Realty Times, adding a privacy wood fence or solid fence will often net “at least 50% of the material and installation costs on resale.”
If you’ve been considering putting in a fence at your property, now is the time to do something! Take a look at all the benefits above, and complete your residence with an attractive, durable, value-adding fence.
Dean White is the owner and operator of Peerless Fence, one of the largest fence companies in the greater Midwest. Dean is a familiar face within the industry with over 30 years of experience of servicing residential, commercial, and industrial clients.